Obviously, according to any eBay auction, the seller must accept a able listing with abundant pictures. This is always accurate regardless of what the merchandise is. Expensive collectibles action splendid opportunities, but again charge adapted precautions.
1. Price: decide the lowest amount you will accept for each figurine and set that price as a reserve. Then accomplish your opening easily absurdly low – affirmative, absurdly.
Archetype: if you will accept $1,000 – accomplish your opening easily $25. There is no risk in this, as you don’t accept to sell unless the bidding reaches $1000, but the low price attracts buyers, (assuming there is demand, of course).
Looking at completed eBay auctions allows us to track prices, Again and again we apprentice that starting the price where the seller hopes it will borderline is not a astute manoeuvre.
For instance, a seller wants to amuse $750 for his figurine. An opening easily of $750 won’t attract nearly as abounding buyers as an opening easily of $25 and – surprisingly – the lower easily almost always gets higher prices. There is some psychology at assignment with the cheap price. It may not accomplish logical sense, but it’s the absoluteness of action on eBay.
2. Devote space in your auction listing explaining how you will pack your item to arrange protected transit. This is critically big as in the back of every buyer’s apperception is the dread of receiving a parcel that rattles. A collectibles buyer will inevitably be thinking of the annoy she will accept to action buttoned up – and the possible loss of purchase price – if her item is broken. She needs to apperceive that the seller has carefully considered this affair and has a solution.
3. For the protection of both of you, insist that the buyer pament for adapted insurance. Don’t acquiesce this to be an choice. You definitely accomplish not appetite the liability of a broken collectible that costs hundreds of dollars. In actuality, if a customer objects to paying for insurance, this might possibly be a bittersweet flag. A absolute collector is actual eager to add to her collection and wants her figurine to be protected.
4. We can safely assume that every Internet buyer has heard stories of fraud on eBay and elsewhere on the Grasp. Accordingly, anything you can accomplish to prove the authenticity of your collectible is able-bodied worth your age. Is there a marking on the bottom? Accomplish you accept the aboriginal box or other container? Does it accept a tag? Is there a certificate of authenticity or an appraisal by a respected alignment? If the answer to any of these is “affirmative”, then be certain to accent your authenticity in your auction. Captivating pictures of your proof is especially able.
5. I don’t suggest offering a guarantee except in the most general road – that is, you, the seller, are telling the rectness about the product. Anyone bidding on a collectible is abreast and accordingly they apperceive what they’re buying so there should be no astuteness for a return. If someone expresses dissatisfaction and mails your merchandise back, there is every likelihood of it being broken. You accomplish not appetite the annoy of trying to collect on broken merchandise or putting yourself into a litigious bearings with someone who refuses to accept that the collectible was broken via return shipping.
Again, you don’t appetite to booty a loss on your eBay fees, which might be substantial if the price is aerial.
6. With a really expensive item, always action the choice of an escrow service – at the buyer’s expense, of course. They may not booty appetite this service, but accomplish certain they accept the choice. You, of course, apperceive that your merchandise is legitimate, but the buyer isn’t so certain. eBay recommends an escrow service that is available to all members.
7. If you’re ready to ship worldwide, you charge to booty adapted steps to protect yourself. In the US we accept AVS (Inscription Verification System) which offers some protection. A actual ample portion of the fraud suffered by buyers occurs outside the United States and you are justified in protecting yourself. Losing the purchase price on a $5 item isn’t such a ample deal – but a $1,000 collectible certainly does matter.
Your bank can advise you on the age it will booty to verify foreign funds. Be certain to let any prospective buyer apperceive in your auction that there will be a delay if they are outside of your country. Accomplish not let your merchandise out of your hands until you are sure!
If you chase these ‘rules’, the chances of selling your expensive collectibles at the highest possible prices will be abundantly increased.
About the author:
Apprentice how to sell on eBay with 16 hours of online instruction taught by a 10 year eBay veteran. Own an eBay bag instead of an eBay hobby.
Originall posted December 24, 2011