It’s one affair to inscription a book, it’s an entirely altered affair to inscription one that’s a saleable, applicable, marketable product. Ensuring the accomplishment of a book is something even the biggest publishers accept never been able to guarantee. Mitigating circumstances, flash trends, and apple events will all act on buyer preferences. That said, there are still ways to leverage the sales-agency in your favor and here’s how you accomplish it. About the Author None
1. Apperceive your readers. We’re not aloof talking about whether your readers are masculine or female. You’ll appetite to apperceive scores factors about your audience. How aged are your readers (age scope)? Are readers married, single, or divorced? Where accomplish your readers reader alive (generally)? What accomplish your readers accomplish for a living? What other books/publications accomplish they peruse? Advance a profile that includes where they shop, what clubs accomplish they belong to, etc.
These elements will advice you incorporate these aspects into your book *and* advice you unearth big marketing opportunities (i.e., publications and stores).
2. Apperceive your marketplace. What’s the marketplace according to for your book? Is there a trend out there you’re positioning yourself towards. Are you reading all the publications related to this topic rend? Are there any “holes” out there your book could fill? What’s the approaching for this marketplace opic? For archetype, let’s add you’re a fiction writer looking to publish chick lit. Action to any bookstore and you can’t advice but spot the cutsie, pink, cartoonish covers. Abounding anticipation this trend was dying out, but it has recently seen another surge. What accomplish you apperceive about trends related to your book opic/audience?
3. Agnate books. What else has been published on your topic? Accept you peruse all ten books in your category? If you haven’t, you should. You’ll appetite to apperceive everything you can about what’s out there and how it’s being perceived in the marketplace. It’s never a botheration having a agnate topic. When I published No Added Rejections – Amuse Published Today, I knew there were other books out there on marketing. I peruse them all–then angled my book differently.
4. Getting and staying current. What’s going on in your industry today? What are some ardent buttons? What are bodies looking for? What’s abutting on the horizon for this topic/audience? If you can’t seem to accumulate this advice buttoned up traditional channels, why not survey your target audience? There are a figure of places to amble chargeless surveys, Survey Primate is one of them: http://www.surveymonkey.com
5. Chase the media. What’s the media talking about these days (besides the California ballot & Ben-lo)? Accumulate track of media buzz–what they’re paying attention to and what they’re writing about. Delve beyond the front page of your paper to the second or third page and beam what’s filling the pages. If you can amuse your hands on out-of-state papers, accomplish a comparative analysis. Accomplish you beam a trend in coverage? Is there something that seems to be getting added buzz even if it’s on page six?
6. Speak, advise, listen. One of the ace ways I’ve activate to amuse in touch with my audience was to advise a class and accomplish speaking engagements. When I was putting at buttoned up my book, Amuse Published Today, I activate that the classes I taught provided admired advice for creating a abundant book as they put me directly in touch with my audience!
7. Timing is everything. When accomplish you aim to release your tome? Are you releasing around a holiday or anniversary? Could you booty advantage of any upcoming accident and/or holiday for your book launch?
Penny C. Sansevieri
The Cliffhanger was published in June of 2000. After a strategic marketing campaign it quickly climbed
the ranks at Amazon.com to the #1 ace selling book in San Diego. Her most recent book: No Added Rejections. Amuse Published Today! was released in July of 2002 to rave reviews. Penny is a book marketing and media relations specialist. She again coaches authors on projects, manuscripts and marketing plans and instructs a array of coursing on publishing and promotion. To apprentice added about her books or her promotional services, you can appointment her interlacing site at www.booksbypen.com. To subscribe to her chargeless ezine, send a blank email to: mailto:email@example.com
Copyright 2004 Penny C. Sansevieri
About the Author
Originall posted December 3, 2011